Sunday, November 25, 2012

Troubleshooting 1982 Fiat X1/9 Leaks

Recently, I noticed the X1/9 developed a leak that is noticeable on the garage floor as the car sits.  The following is a list of photos that may assist in deciphering where the leaks are originating from the car.  The leaks have a greenish yellow hue to them.

There appears to be two leaks, one is leaking considerably more than the other.  You can also see below that the color of the liquid is yellow with a light green hue.





Next, photos of where I believe the left leak is coming from.  I was not able to easily decipher where the right drips were coming from.  Clearly, the one on the left is happening at a slower rate.


The back side of the part from the photo above. 

 
The part from the left side.  When I touched the bolt towards the middle, i had some of the liquid on my finger.  I can't figure whether or not it is just acting as the collection point of the liquid falling down or if it is actually leaking from the bolt.
 



Looking at the Service Manual, it is difficult for me to decipher what part the leaks are coming from. Judging by the location of the part in relation to the motor as well as the CV joints coming out of the side, I'm leaning toward it being the transmission.  This would confirm previous statements that indicate that it is just existing transmission leaks.

As I said before, I cannot tell where the second leak is coming from, and I am wondering if it is simply coming from the other side of the transmission. 

I do not see any noticible leaks from the engine compartment.  Granted, the compartement is quite crowded, however I expected to see some sort of coolant leaks.  The coolant reservoir looks OK. 

My questions are the following:

  1. By looking at the color of the fluid, do you think it is transmission fluid or some other fluid like coolant?
  2. From looking at the photos, are the places that are leaking the same as what you experienced previously when you owned the car?
  3. I am embarrased to say this, but after examining both the service manual and the owners manual, I could not find where I can A - Check the Transmission Fluid level and B - Add transmission fluid.  Would you be able to point me in the right direction?
  4. Do you know of anywhere that has good diagrams of the coolant hoses in the Fiat?  I looked thru the service manual again on that, and I could not find anything good.  It may be there, I just missed it.
If you would like additional photos please let me know and I can take some more tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment